There’s no point relying willpower to get through the silly season. Willpower is completely unreliable, only successful 3% of the time according to some studies.
Other research shows over the holidays, the average Australian puts on 2kg. Of course, some people maintain their weight, but others blow out by around 4 kgs.
To avoid weight gain and even lose a couple of kilos over the silly season while still enjoying festive events and flavours, try these tips.
There’s the old classic 1:1 ratio of Grog:water.
Drinking water in between each alcoholic beverage. I still haven’t met anyone who actually does this, once they get to beer or wine number 3 the logical ratios get forgotten and flushed down the loo.
But here are some I find very practical that help you wake up feeling light, lean and happy.
- Check out the menu beforehand: If you get the opportunity check out the menu before you go. Generally the higher the budget the more variety and quality of the food, but don’t bet on it and send an email or find out the venues menus.
- Better safe than sloppy: If you’re not sure what’s being served or it’s going to be the typical fried hors d’oeuvre, pastries and party pies; eat a small but satisfying snack before you go. This clever tactic is essential in staying trim, as appetite will always eventually wear down and defeat willpower; check out the next point for a powerful preventative.
- The Power of Protein: Before you head out make yourself the BEST version of a protein shake with whole-foods, super-foods and omega-3 fats (see ‘Protein bars/powders’ in your BBB food options for more detail).
This powerful combination will take away any cravings when the even the most mesmerising appetizers attempt to seduce you.
- Drive to the party: This way your host won’t keep pressuring you to join in the drinking games. When you use the power of protein in your pre-party preparation then you can happily sit on sparkling waters or tomato juices for the rest of the night.
- Leave at the peak: When you’ve had a couple hours of dancing and conversation leave while it’s still relatively early. The best parts of parties aren’t usually in the 8th hour of drinking, so when you’ve ticked the social box head home to that Heavenly bed.
Follow these tips to wake up feeling refreshed, energised and ready for a workout, or at least a headache-free day…
If you want to take things to the next level before Christmas day and actually lose weight over this period try this secret weapon….
From the 22nd-24th of December I’m doing a juice cleanse by http://detoxdelivered.com.au/, the advantages of a 3-day juice cleanse include:
- Giving my digestive system a break from the large volumes of food
- Delivering all the energy and nutrients I need for work, training and life.
- Reducing my appetite and size of my stomach for the big day.
I’ve done these natural juice cleanses before and it reminds me how much I generally over-eat and I also re-learn to appreciate each mouthful.
Try 1 or all of the above points and let me know how you go…